DRP Surgery is the best Surgery Clinic in Dallas. Visit our Surgical Clinic for hernia repair surgery in Arlington, Dallas, Texas.
What is hernia?
Displacement or protrusion of an organ from the cavity is called hernia.
Types of hernia:
- Inguinal hernia: It is the protrusion of the intestine or bladder through the inguinal wall. This is the most common type of hernia and is most likely to occur in men. This is usually due to a weakness in the inguinal region.
- Umbilical hernia: Protrusion of a part of small intestine through abdominal wall near the umbilicus is called umbilical hernia. This type of hernia is common in children and mothers who have given birth to more than 3 children.
- Incisional: It is known as Incisional hernia because it occurs as a complication of a previous surgery. The abdominal wall pushes against the incision of the previous surgery which results in protrusion of a part of intestine from the incision. Elderly people and the people with sedentary lifestyle are more likely to develop Incisional hernia.
- Hiatal: It is the type of hernia in which upper stomach pushes through the diaphragm. This usually causes difficulty in swallowing.
- Femoral: This type of hernia happens when a part of intestine slips down into the canal carrying femoral artery. Pregnant and obese women are prone to develop this type of hernia.
The primary cause of hernias is weak muscles. The combination of pressure and muscle weakness results in the protrusion of an organ or a part of it through the cavity. Anything that causes pressure on the abdomen may result in hernia. The most common causes include:
- Lifting a heavy weight object
- Heavy weight lifting
- Over stretching
- Long-standing diarrhea or constipation
- Persistent coughing or sneezing
- Other causes: Obesity, Smoking, Binge drinking, Overeating, Muscle weakness, and Poor nutrition